For small firms and solo practitioners looking for honest and practical advice on marketing themselves and their firm, this was the ideal event. Not only did attendees have direct access to industry leaders, they also had the happy assistance of Mass LOMAP’s law practice advisors (Jared Correia and Heidi Alexander). This intimate event took place at Suffolk University Law School’s beautiful building located down the street from Boston Commons and across the street from the Granary Burying Ground, the final resting place for founding fathers such as Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Paul Revere.
Starting with the keynote “Delivering a Cloud Experience” and first panel discussion, it was readily apparent that this conference was wholly geared towards solo practitioners and small firms. High-profile speakers such as Jack Newton (CEO & Founder of Clio), Jim Schonrock (Vice President-Performance at Findlaw), and Leigh McMillan (Vice President of Marketing at Avvo, Inc.) eagerly took live questions from the audience at Suffolk and the online participants. Best of all, the answers were straight forward and simple. It was the kind of knowledge that should have been taught in law school but somehow never was.
Also unique to this event was the emphasis on relationship building rather than a general message on the benefits of social media. In addition to the “whats” of marketing, the “whys” and “hows” were discussed in great detail. This was a true “rubber hits the road” event. Speakers and panelists (including our own CEO Adam Camras) were extremely thoughtful in the delivery of their message. The impression given was that everyone truly cared about the success of the attendees.
Despite the jam-packed schedule of this conference, Heidi Alexander and Jared Correia (hosts of Legal Toolkit) were able to sneak away to Legal Talk Network’s exhibition table to record an episode. In a series of interviews with Jack Newton, Heather Jackson, Jim Schonrock, Joyce Brafford (NCBA), Kelli Proia, Nicole Bradick, Damian Turco, and Susan Cartier Liebel, they recapped on the elements that make this conference special. Tune in to hear how attorneys should be managing their client relationships to grow their practices. Below are some of the marketing and relationship building take-aways from speakers and exhibitors:
- Jack Newton (CEO and Founder of Clio): “Today, it’s more about how you sell than what you sell”
- Jim Schonrock (Vice President-Performance at Findlaw): “With social media, start small and do it well”
- Leigh McMillan (Vice President of Marketing at Avvo, Inc.): When it comes to social media, “it’s better to not do it, than to do it badly”
- Gyi Tsakalakis (Director of Search at AttorneySync): “Use your real name on social media… no one wants to be friends with law firms”
- Heather Jackson (Regional Development Director at Constant Contact): For your newsletters, “Good Content Matters”
- Conrad Saam (Mockingbird Marketing): “Phone #s must be in the header of the website… on every page and clickable”
- David Morris (Assistant General Counsel from TripAdvisor): “Curate your social profiles”
- Marguerite Fletcher (Founder of Fletcher Legal Consulting): “Start networking now… not just when you need it”
- Kelli Proia (Founder of Lawducate): “Don’t use gavels, scales of justice, court houses, legal books, etc. on your website”
- Adam Camras (CEO of Legal Talk Network): “Take advantage of events like today… have business cards, engage, network… everyone is a prospective client”
More from this event
For more from this event, listen to the below Legal Talk Network Special Reports.
- Heidi Alexander Interviews Lawducate Founder Kelli Proia at Mass LOMAP Conference
- Jared Correia Interviews Legal Marketing Expert Joyce Brafford at the Mass LOMAP Conference
- Do Silver Bullets Exist with Digital Marketing? Jim Schonrock Interviewed at the Mass LOMAP Conference
- Heidi Alexander Interviews Jack Newton Live at the Mass LOMAP Conference